You are using an unlicensed and unsupported version of Evoq Content. Please contact for information on how to obtain a valid license.
Small Claims Criminal Procedures - Including Traffic Violations Criminal Trial Procedures Civil Procedures Civil Eviction Suit Procedures Frequently Asked Questions

Justice Courts

Justices of the Peace serve both as Judges and Magistrates. As Judges, they preside over justice criminal court, justice civil court, and small claims court. Criminal cases include but are not limited to traffic cases, school attendance cases, minor alcohol violation cases, and minor tobacco violation cases. Law enforcement agencies, including but not limited to the Williamson County Sheriff's Department. Department of Public Safety, Parks & Wildlife, Health Department, and Alcohol & Beverage Commission, file complaints in justice criminal court. Civil cases include but are not limited to evictions and other suits with amount in controversy up to $10000. Every party to a civil suit has the right to request a jury proceeding.

As magistrates, Justices of the Peace issue warrants, conduct criminal examining trials, admonish prisoners, and set bonds. They also conduct juvenile detention hearings and admonish juveniles for statements. Additionally, Justices of the Peace perform marriage ceremonies and perform coroner duties on deaths that occur when not attended by a physician.

While defendants may represent themselves in a case before the justice court, defendants should consider seeking legal counsel before filing a plea. It is the duty of this office to help you in any way possible, but the Rules of Judicial Ethics prohibit this office:

  • From giving legal advice
  • Telling either party how to present their case
  • Expressing opinions of law.

The Judge and Court Clerks can answer questions:

  • Only of a general nature
  • About procedures of the Court
  • Concerning Court costs

The Judge and Clerks must remain impartial, and cannot hear any part of a case, or discuss the merits of any case, unless all parties are present.

Click for appropriate court attire and conduct.

Local Rules of Administration


Which Precinct?

To determine your precinct number, please see visit this page or call the Williamson County Elections Department at (512) 943-1630.

Justice of the Peace Precinct One
Justice of the Peace Precinct Two
Justice of the Peace Precinct Three
Justice of the Peace Precinct Four
Williamson County Courthouse
710 Main Street Georgetown, TX 78626
Main Telephone: (512)943-1100
Copyright 2018 by Williamson County, Texas TS   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement  Sitemap